If your holiday eating has you feeling weighed down, try this light and colorful arugula salad that uses fresh produce and lean protein.
“I like this salad because it is fresh and bright, but still feels like we are headed into winter,” said Natalie Fortune, Attune Health’s nutritionist and research associate. “Get creative and add whatever ingredients you enjoy!”
This recipe calls for chicken, but you can change it up with other protein sources, including turkey or salmon.
Arugula Salad with Shallot and Thyme Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme
- 1 minced shallot
- 1 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 handfuls of arugula (any greens will work for this)
- ½ cup of grapes, sliced
- 2 ounces of Manchego cheese
- 4 tablespoons of pepitas
- 2, 3 ounce portions of cooked chicken
- Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add thyme and shallot. Cook until shallots begin to soften, then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a bowl, whisk shallot and thyme mixture with both vinegars, then drizzle in olive oil to emulsify the vinaigrette while continuing to whisk. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the salad, place a large handful of greens on a plate, toss about 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette with the greens. Arrange half of the grapes, cheese and pepitas over the greens. Then add the chicken — you can either heat it up or leave it cold, your preference.
- Drizzle a little more dressing over the whole salad and enjoy!