Tired of ordering takeout every day for lunch? Check out this chicken lettuce wrap recipe, courtesy of Attune Health in-house nutritionist Natalie Fortune! Not only is the recipe easy and quick to prepare, it is also ideal for meal prepping so you can easily prepare multiple lunches in one cooking session.
Best of all, this recipe is incredibly healthy: by replacing flour wraps with lettuce, you will cut down on calories. Ground chicken is also a great source of natural protein that is lower in fats and calories relative to other meat sources.
So next time you’re thinking of getting takeout, avoid the bloated feeling and fatigue associated with fast food, and try out this recipe instead. This is a meal that is sure to leave you energized for the second half of your day!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ diced onion
- 1-Pound sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-Inch piece of garlic, minced
- 1-Pound ground chicken
- 1 bunch of sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- *Optional* 2 teaspoons of garlic chili paste (such as sambal oelek)
- *Optional* 2 teaspoons of white miso paste
- Sea Salt
- Butter lettuce leaves
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, then add avocado oil and diced red onion. Cook for a few minutes until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and continue cooking. Allow mushrooms to dry out a bit and brown.
- When the mushrooms have browned, add the minced garlic and ginger, cooking for about 1 minute.
- When the garlic and ginger become fragrant add the ground chicken. Break up the chicken and allow to fully cook and brown. This should take about 5 minutes.
- When the chicken is cooked, add the sliced scallions, coconut aminos, unseasoned rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and optional garlic chili paste and white miso. Allow to cook for a few minutes until the sauce has cooled down.
- Taste and season sea salt as needed.
- Serve with brown butter lettuce to make lettuce wraps.