Incorporating seafood into your diet can be a healthy and nutritious part of a balanced diet. Start with this grain-free crab cake recipe, prepared by Attune Health nutritionist and dietitian Natalie Fortune.
“These crab cakes are great on their own, but pairing them with vegetables can also make a wonderful meal. I made this dish with a red pepper sauce, but you can use any healthy source you want to,” says Natalie.
INGREDIENTS FOR CRAB CAKE:
- 1 cup of Lump Crab Meat
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Juice of one half lemon
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch dry mustard
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
INGREDIENTS FOR RED PEPPER SAUCE:
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- Juice of one lemon
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
RECIPE FOR CRAB CAKES:
- Empty the crab meat into a bowl, making sure to check for any shells to remove them.
- Add the egg, mustard, lemon juice, parsley, seasonings, and coconut flour to the crab.
- Gently mix until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Pour the mixture into about 1 ounce patties and set aside. This amount of ingredients should make about 6 of them.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, and then add the avocado oil. Only add a little at a time.
- Working in batches, cook the crab cakes for about 3 minutes on each side. You do not want to over heat the pan. Make sure to get a good sear on both sides.
RECIPE FOR RED PEPPER SAUCE:
- Slice the pepper in half and take all of the seeds out.
- Set your broiler in the oven to high.
- Put the pepper on a backing sheet skin side up and put under the broiler for a few minutes until the skin begins to blacken.
- Take the pepper out from under the broiler and quickly put it into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Leave the pepper like this for about 10 minutes, allowing it to steam and cool off.
- When the pepper is cooled enough to touch remove the skin, put the pepper into the food processor.
- Also to the food processor add olive oil, garlic, lemon juice. Blend until smooth. Add more lemon and olive oil as needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.