One thing that Attune Health nutritionist Natalie Fortune always stresses is that eating healthy does not have to mean boring and tasteless meals.
“Contrary to popular belief, you can have both! Comfort food doesn’t always have to go against your diet,” she insists.
Take this new spin on an old favorite. This recipe replaces bread with sweet potatoes. Grains, especially wheat, for some people can be inflammatory. By swapping the bread for sweet potatoes you are bumping up the micronutrient content of your food without sacrificing any of the flavor.
Try the recipe out, and let us know what you think!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 pound of ground beef, turkey, or if going for a plant-based version use beyond meat crumbles.
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon coconut aminos
- Sea Salt and Black pepper
- 1 handful of baby spinach.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Wash the sweet potatoes thoroughly. With the skin on, slice the sweet potatoes into ½ inch rounds.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon of avocado oil and a pinch of sea salt, coat evenly. Put the baking sheet in the oven and allow the sweet potatoes to cook for about 25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. I like to use a cast iron skillet for this. Add the remaining teaspoon of avocado oil, and then the ground beef (or turkey or plant based option). Break up the meat into small pieces so it can brown evenly.
- When the meat is almost fully cooked, add the diced onions. Continue to stir until the onions become translucent. At this point add the diced bell pepper and minced garlic.
- Cook this mixture for a few more minutes until the peppers begin to soften. Now add the tomato paste. Stir will.
- When the tomato paste has begun to caramelize, add the vegetable broth, paprika, Dijon mustard, and coconut aminos. Allow to cook for a few minutes until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Taste the mixture and add sea salt and black pepper as needed.
- When the sweet potatoes are done cooking, assemble your sandwiches with one round of sweet potato on the bottom, followed by a few pieces of spinach, the sloppy joe mixture, and then an additional sweet potato.