It’s the day after Thanksgiving and your refrigerator is stuffed with leftovers. Instead of reheating the same meal over and over, use those leftovers to create a new, delicious dinner.
Leftover Turkey Vegetable Soup, a recipe from Attune Health nutritionist and research associate Natalie Fortune, freezes well so you can enjoy leftovers for weeks to come. It also works with leftover chicken.
“A good tip for this recipe is to try and have all of the vegetables diced to the same size,” Fortune said. “You could also add some leftover roasted vegetables if you have them from your holiday spread.”
Fortune seasoned this soup with chili powder, cumin, and oregano, but feel free to season it any way you like. Try basil and thyme or sage, rosemary or garlic.
BONUS: Here are a few additional recipe ideas for your leftover turkey:
- Turkey chili
- Breakfast hash with sweet potatoes, veggies, turkey and eggs
- Bone broth
- Turkey salad
Leftover Turkey Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon high heat cooking oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 leeks, sliced and rinsed well.
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 quarts of low sodium vegetable or chicken broth (Make sure to read label)
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Leftover turkey or chicken, pulled apart into bite size pieces about 3 ounces per serving
- Garnish with chives or fresh herbs
- ½ cup of dried white beans (*optional* make sure to soak and sprout them first)
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium health. Add the diced onions and leeks, cook for a few minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the diced parsnips and carrots, cook until softened. Season with sea salt.
- Add the soaked and sprouted beans, followed by the low sodium vegetable broth.
- Sprinkle in the chili powder, cumin and dried oregano. Bring to a boil and cook for a few
- minutes to allow all of the flavors to come together and the beans to be completely cooked.
- Prepare the turkey and divide it into the serving bowls. No need to heat it up, the
- hot soup will do that for you!
- Pour the hot soup over the turkey, top with chives and enjoy!