Shakshuka is a great and versatile meal that you can have for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! While the dish is essentially poached eggs with a delicious flavorful sauce, you can add different vegetables and spices to completely alter the dish.
One large egg has about 6 grams of protein and healthy fats to keep you full for a long time and provide your body with the energy it needs.
According to Attune Health nutritionist and research associate Natalie Fortune, Harissa is a North African chili paste that is low in calories and high in flavor. Depending on what kinds of chillies and other spices are incorporated, the paste can vary in spice and flavor.
INGREDIENTS FOR SHAKSHUKA
Place the pesto and fresh cilantro on top of the shakshuka and enjoy! UKA
- 1 tablespoon high heat cooking oil, such as avocado oil
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 table spoons of harissa- add more or less depending on how spicy you want your dish
- 1, 28 oz can of whole tomatoes
- Sea salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 6 medium or large eggs
INGREDIENTS FOR WALNUT CILANTRO PESTO
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup of walnuts
- 2 cups of fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and Black pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet with high sides (2-3 inches) over medium heat and add avocado oil. Use a skillet that has a top that fits.
- When the pan is hot, add the diced bell pepper and yellow onion. Cook until the onion begins to soften and becomes translucent.
- Add the garlic and harissa paste and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- When the dish has become very fragrant, add the can of tomatoes. Allow this to stew for about 15 minutes. This is a good time to make the pesto!
- For the pesto – in a food processor, add garlic and walnuts. Pulse a few times to mince. Then add the cilantro, pulse again until all of the cilantro is chopped up. You may need to scrape down the sides of the food processor.
- While the food processor is running, now drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil until the pesto sauce is formed. You may need more or less depending on what consistency you want the sauce to be.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Now that the pesto is complete, use either an immersion blender or a regular blender to puree the tomato and pepper sauce in the pan. Leave some chunks to give it texture.
- If using a blender, add the sauce back to the pan. Taste, and season with sea salt and black pepper if needed.
- Using a spoon, create wells and crack the egg into the sauce. Separate the eggs evenly.
- Place a top on the pan and cook until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Season the eggs with sea salt and black pepper.
- Place the pesto and fresh cilantro on top of the shakshuka and enjoy!