Looking for an easy and healthy recipe to keep up your New Year’s resolution? Attune Health nutritionist and research associate Natalie Fortune has the solution with this quick and nutritious dish.
“What I really love about this dish is how each component is rich in a particular nutrient,” she says. “The shrimp is a great source of protein, while the avocado provides healthy fats, and the oranges and cucumbers contain healthy carbohydrates.”
Shrimp with Cucumber and Orange Salad
- ½ cup of fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon of Sriracha * optional*
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon gluten free soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons high heat cooking oil
- Juice of two limes
- 1-pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 orange
- 1 blood orange
- 3 Persian cucumbers
- 1 small bunch of scallions
- 1 avocado
- Sea Salt
- Whisk orange juice, sriracha, honey, gluten free soy sauce, oil, and juice of one lime in a medium sized bowl. Mix until all ingredients are combined. Set aside a few tablespoons of the marinade in a separate bowl. Add cleaned shrimp to the rest of the marinade and allow to marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- While the shrimp is marinating, peel oranges with a knife, making sure to remove all of the pith (the white part). Slice the oranges into ¼ inch thick rounds and then chop into bite size pieces.
- Dice the cucumbers the same size as the oranges and then mix in a bowl. Slice the scallions and add them to the same bowl.
- Add juice from the second lime in with the oranges and cucumbers, sprinkle in a little sea salt and set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the shrimp in a single layer. Cook the shrimp for about 3 minutes on each side. Do not overcrowd the pan. Work in batches if needed.
- While the shrimp is cooking, slice the avocado.
- After the shrimp is done cooking take ¼ of the salad and place it on each plate with a serving of shrimp, ¼ of the sliced avocado and then drizzle a few tablespoons of the reserved marinade (the marinade that did not touch the raw shrimp) over the avocado and the shrimp. Enjoy!