Pasta night is a time-honored family favorite. Rather than be loaded down with carbs and calories, use spaghetti squash as a healthy and flavorful alternative.
Spaghetti squash is low in calories, carbs and fat, but is packed with nutrients. It’s also the perfect pasta for people avoiding grains and gluten.
Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 lemons, juice and zest
- 1 cup of fresh basil, plus more for serving
- 8-10 pieces of peeled and de-veined shrimp
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups of halved cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of ghee (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice the spaghetti squash into 1- 1½-inch rings and scoop out seeds. You should have 5-6 rings of spaghetti squash.
- Put rings on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Bake about 45 minutes, or until fork tender and beginning to brown.
- While the spaghetti squash is cooking, heat 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced shallots and cook until they begin to soften. cook for a few minutes until the begin to soften. Add red pepper flakes and minced garlic and cook for a few more minutes until they begin to become fragrant.
- Add the halved tomatoes to the skillet along with the zest of two lemons and the juice of one. Cook the sauce for a few minutes until the tomatoes are softened. Add chopped basil.
- In a separate pan, use ½ tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and add in shrimp in a single layer. Season with sea salt and pepper. Flip shrimp when the shrimp begins to get pink. Add the juice of the other lemon to the shrimp. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp. Set cooked shrimp aside.
- Remove spaghetti squash from oven. After it has cooled for a few minutes, scrape out the inside of the squash — it will come out stringy, just like spaghetti! Add the squash to the pan with the sauce and toss to evenly coat.
- Plate your dish with a nice helping of spaghetti squash, 4-5 shrimp, and a pinch of fresh basil. Enjoy!